8 – 12 Weeks Before Your Move Date
- Gather personal records, medical, dental, school, reports and motor vehicle insurance experience and banking references.
- Make arrangement to complete forms for Tax Returns, Child Benefit, and Pension Arrangements. You may need to engage the services of a Financial Advisor.
- Check requirements for permit application for artwork, vehicles, firearms
- Check requirements for Visa or Work Permits of host country and the length of time required for processing.
- Check vaccination requirements
- Look at the option of engaging a Relocation Company at destination who can provide you with all the necessary information of your host country. This will assist in a smooth transition of a new environment
- When speaking with the Relocation Company, they will provide advice regarding temporary accommodation at destination.
- Check to see if you're electrical appliance will function at your destination.
4 – 7 Weeks Before Your Move Date
- Complete and return the acceptance form and confirm your insurance requirements
- Confirm your moving dates and book packing dates with movers
- Ensure that you provide the movers with a communication number and address whilst in transit to your destination
- Make your travel arrangements
- Make contact with the Post Office to have your post re-directed.
- Contact all the necessary parties to advise change of address:
- Credit card companies
- Insurance companies
- Mail order accounts
- Magazine subscriptions
- Rental or hire purchase companies
- Taxation office
- Friends and Relatives
- If bringing your pet, check regulations at destination and consider engaging professional assistance as procedures can be difficult from country to country. Ensure that the relevant health certificates, immunisations and permits are completed
- Obtain details of new school dress codes and book material, if a uniform is required place an order with the school so that the items are available upon arrival together with any reading or writing materials.
- When moving overseas there are many Expatriate Support Groups that you can join, they provide a good way of meeting people and are useful course of information and guidance.
1 – 3 Weeks Before Your Move Date
- Collect items from repairers, cleaners, lent to friends/relatives
- Return library books
- Ensure you have sufficient prescription medication to cover the period of disruption
- Safely dispose of all flammables e.g. paints, gas bottles, cleaning fluids and oils
- Clear attic/basement
- If your mover is not making arrangements for you, book trades people to carry out services e.g. dismantling waterbeds, removing light fittings, house cleaning services and dismantling of satellite equipment, disconnecting, washing machine, dishwasher
- Cancel household deliveries and services
- If moving internationally dispose of house plants as these may not be included
- Organise final readings and disconnection of Gas/Electricity/Telephone.
- The week before your move
- Clean outdoor equipment and toys, drain any fuel from your lawnmower, and other machinery and ensure that water is drained from hoses.
- Arrange for your valuable documents, jewellery and money to be moved separately
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, ensure that they are completely dry prior to moving to avoid mildew
- Wash and dry all linen and clothing
- Prepare your washing machine for moving, disconnect power and water, check if transit bolts need to be fitted
- If your clothing is to be transported on hangers in wardrobe cartons, ensure that all clothes is securely fastened on the hanger and that they are all facing the same way
- Dispose of unwanted items and return rented or hired goods
- Mark clearly items which you are leaving behind for the new occupier
Your moving Day
- It is your responsibility to be present at the time the move takes place, ensure that when the removal crew arrive you escort them around the house confirming what is to be moved and any special instructions
- Ensure that everything has been packed and loaded for transportation, a final check round with one of the crew, open all cupboards and check behind doors this should avoid items being left behind.
- You will be asked to sign a packing inventory list, check carefully to ensure that you are happy with the content, you will be asked to check and sign it again at delivery
- Before leaving the property, ensure that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are switched off. Keys for the residence together with any documents relating to the property or equipment remaining at the house should be left at a nominated point.
- At the time of delivery ensure that you are present in order to advise the movers where to place items, then check off your goods against the packing list.
Before departure, please ensure that you have the following documents on your person, as you may need some information in order to obtain utility connections, importation of household effects, setting up bank accounts or signing for temporary accommodation.
- Marriage Certificate
- Dental Records
- Medical Records: EU Nationals must obtain E 104/ E 111 Forms. These are available from the Department of Health
- Bank References
- Tenancy References
- Old Utility Bills
- Insurance details for car and home
- Travel Documents
- Driving License
View Checklist in PDF form and print-out